Iparművészeti Múzeum (Museum of Applied Arts) is an Art Nouveau building built between 1893 and 1896 based on the plans of architects Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. It is one of the most characteristic and most representative forms of Lechner’s architectural style, featuring Hungarian folk ceramics, including Zsolnay pottery and majolica, also featuring Islamic and Hindu patterns. The colorful tiled roof is designed ornately with Oriental details because “birds have eyes too” - as the architect explained it.
The Museum of Applied Arts features a rich collection of European decorative arts, arranged in the following collections: Collection of Furniture, Collection of Metalwork, Collection of Textiles, Collection of Ceramics and Glass. In addition, the museum has a public library collection. The Museum of Applied Arts has two branches: The Ferenc Hopp Museum of Eastern Asiatic Arts and the Nagytétény Castle Museum.
The permanent exhibition Collectors and Treasures presents pieces from the museum’s collection. Works of art illustrate the foundation and history of the museum, exhibiting the most important stages in the history of the museum, beginning from 1872.
Every day: 10.00 – 18.00
Closed on Mondays
Guided tours are available. Please check entrance fees and visiting rules on the website of the museum.
How to get there:
By metro M3 (blue line) or by tram Nos. 4-6 to Corvin-negyed and then on foot.